With ‘spring’ tentatively tip toeing in to season in the UK, I thought it would be good to start a picnic series
These gems are gluten free and baked
They are made with quail’s eggs, so it’s very tempting just to pop the whole thing in your mouth
- 3 organic gluten free sausages
- 6 boiled quails eggs
- 2 tbsp. rice flour
- 1 medium egg
- 50g gluten free breadcrumbs
(Optional extras: you can spice the breadcrumbs if you want more flavour-my sausages have enough flavour so I didn’t. You can fry them but I prefer to bake them)
- Take the sausage skins off and bring together the sausage meat. Divide into 6 even portions
- Take one portion and flatten it in your hand. Place a quail’s egg in the middle and bring together around it. Use more sausage meat if needed. Roll it in your hand once done to make sure it takes shape and that the quail’s egg is fully covered. Repeat with all 6 eggs
- Place the flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs in 3 shallow bowls. Dip each Scotch egg into the flour and lightly coat, then into the beaten egg and finally in the breadcrumbs. Repeat.
- Preheat an oven to 200c. Once warm, place the eggs on a baking tray with greaseproof paper and bake until golden or for around 20 minutes. I also turned them once as some of the sausage meat juice came out. Make sure the sausage meat is cooked all the way through.
- Serve hot or cold. Protein dense and totally tasty!