This bread is so tasty that it doesn’t need anything on top of it
It holds together, so you can slice it and it holds its shape
It is an adapted recipe from Deliciously Ella
It makes a normal size loaf, if you want a small loaf or it’s your first time trying it out, use half of all the ingredients
It has Psyllium husk powder as an essential ingredient; it binds the bread together. I found it acted as an appetite suppressant for me, apparently because it absorbs liquid it gives you a sense of feeling full. So we have found bread you can eat when watching your weight.
Also the FDA (more authoritative) has established a tangible benefit of psyllium seed husk intake and a decreased risk of coronary heart disease….just saying.
- 1 cup = 6 tbsp.
- 4 cups of cold water
- 3 cups of pumpkin seeds
- 2 cup of brown rice flour
- 2 cups of macadamia nuts (or any other nuts)
- 1 cup of sunflower seeds
- 6 tbsp. psyllium husk powder
- 4 tbsp. of chia seeds
- 4 tbsp. dried mixed herbs (herbs de Provence are good, if you don’t have it mix your own herbs, tbsp.. each of basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano)
(Options: the recipe calls for almonds, but I used macadamia nuts (mainly because my grandma gave me 1kg of them, but also because they have a plain taste versus hazelnuts for example. If you don’t have rice flour you can use any other gluten free alternative.)
- Simply place the macadamia nuts (or other nuts) and 2 cups of pumpkin seeds in a blender and blender for 1-2 minutes until the mixture is crumbly/more like flour than nuts
- Transfer this to a bowl and stir in the remaining pumpkin seeds, add the flour, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, psyllium husk and dried herbs. Stir the mix together until evenly combined.
- Gradually pour the water in and mix.
- Let sit for 45-60 minutes to make sure it binds. If it is watery after an hour, add flour one tbsp. at a time and mix until it is firm.
- Place in a well oiled (rapeseed or coconut oil preferably) bread tin
- Place in a pre-heated oven at 180c and bake for 45-60 minutes or until brown
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes and then tip upside down. Leave to cool on a wire rack. Once cooled slice and enjoy.
- If you want to store it, place in the fridge or freezer