You find this in bento boxes in Japan for lunch, but I love to eat it for breakfast too
It’s simple and takes little time to prepare or cook
It’s pure and so is allergen free with the added benefit of omega oils
- 4 mackerel fillets
- 2 tbsp. sake (30ml)
- 1 tbsp. salt
- Lemon or lime wedge (1/4) per fillet
- Cover the fillets in a plate with the sake. Pat dry with a paper towel
- Sprinkle the salt generously on both sides of the fish and let them sit at room temperature for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, some water should come out, wipe this off before cooking
- Preheat the oven grill or oven. Place the fish skin side down on a baking tray lined with foil or baking paper (brush oil on the lining so it doesn’t stick). Bake for 15 minutes or until the fish is cooked through.
- Flip the fish over so the skin is facing up and place on a higher oven rack, nearer the heating element and grill for another 3-5 minutes. This should give you nice crispy skin, be careful not to burn this.
- Eat this hot with a squeeze of lemon or lime
- Or cold after a work out to replenish your salt and get your protein in!