I love using new and colorful ingredients and so was delighted when I discovered the watermelon radish at the farmers market.
The watermelon radish is a humble light green on the outside but open it up and its full of magic pink and vibrant orange. It is one of the most beautiful vegetables I have ever seen!
It can be served cooked, raw or pickled. I choose raw as it is a nice contrast in texture to the tuna and also the radish looses its vibrancy when cooked. The radish is a bit milder than the pink radish and a bit sharper than the long white daikon. The dressing is a nice sweet addition, with a little warmth from the mustard and acidity from the capers!
Its gluten, diary and nut free and is a 7-minute meal if you are only searing the tuna.
- 1 tuna steak (if searing make sure this is sushi grade)
- Salt and pepper to season
- Half a watermelon radish
- 1 tbsp. Honey
- 1 tbsp. Mustard
- 1 tbsp. Capers
- Cut the watermelon radish into thin slices
- Season the tuna and sear, leaving it pink in the middle if possible. I seared this one and baked it in the oven, hence the lack of pink in the middle. I also allowed it to cool down, as I want to serve this as a cold dish.
- Mix the honey, mustard and capers and drizzle over the top