This recipe is gluten, diary and nut free. It is adapted from my new chef crush, Chef Daphne Cheng’s website, having tasted her amazing vegan food on a recent visit to LadyBird in NYC. (www.daphnecheng.com)
The beauty of this dish to start, is that the dish is beautiful. It reminds me of a deep sunset on a contemplative day.
It is also 98% beetroot and thus super healthy and full of antioxidants (see other health benefits below). You can spice this dish up a little by adding a little red pepper (I will do this for Mr. B and his asbestos stomach) or you can bathe in its simplicity.
- 2 red beets
- 2 golden beets
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cups water
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. apple vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- Heat oven to 350f/180c. Rub the beets with coconut oil and roast until tender, about 1 hour. Make sure to wrap them in foil separately or use two different baking trays to make sure the red doesn’t bleed into the yellow
- Remove from heat, let cool, peel and chop (still keeping separate)
- In a medium pot, add water, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Pour half into another medium pot. Add one color of beet to each pot.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool slightly then puree each color in a blender until smooth. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- To Serve:Spoon the red beet soup into a bowl, then spoon the golden beet soup over. Take a knife or chopstick and swirl around.
- As breathtaking and as vibrant as the sunset!