Life is your canvas…paint it with your dreams!
My dreams are normally full of food. If you know me well and see me staring off into the distance, you’ll know its because I am thinking about my next meal, the meal I just had or a recipe I am working on. It is therefore natural for me to combine food and art.
Beetroots have such amazing colors, my favourite is the deep ruby red because of the colour but also the antioxidant qualities you get with it.
This recipe is my healthy vegan version of beef tartar using those beautiful red beets to create a hearty, beet tartare. The dish has a lovely crunch and salinity from the capers and a smooth heat from the mustard.
I loved playing with this dish, as when you have finished you have a pink paint and a white cream cheese base to play with. It lets your inner artist (and child out) and what could be more fun than that!
This is a Tasha. Kitchen original, feel free to copy, creativity should be shared!
- 2 small beets
- 1 tsp. capers
- 1½ tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 3 tbsp. vegan cream cheese (see prior recipe)
- Chives, chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat an oven to 350c
- Bake the beetroots in salt for 40 mins or until slightly tender
- Remove from the oven and let cool
- Once cooled chop into roughly 1cm x 1cm pieces
- Whisk together the mustard, vinegar, oil, and salt.
- Transfer beets to a small bowl and mix with the dressing
- Smear plate with the vegan cream cheese and place the beetroot on top using a cookie cutter or ramekin
- Garnish with chopped chives