Raw, Vegan Beetroot Ravioli
I love this recipe from vegan food and living by Juliette Bryant. It is raw and so takes little time to create. It tastes super luxurious and creamy due to the cashews with the nutritional yeast creating the sensation of a silky cheese sauce.
Beets are best eaten raw as they loose some of their vibrant color and nutrients when cooked. This marinade softens them, making the texture more like pasta than beet.
2 large beetroots
For the marinade
- 60ml olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. tamari
For the filling
- 300g pre-soaked cashews
- 115ml water
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast flakes
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- Chives and parsley (optional)
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl. Finely slice the beetroots into thin disc shapes and place them into a bowl with the marinade and leave covered for 4 hours. This will soften the beetroots.
- Place all the filling ingredients into a high powered blender or food processor and blend until smooth
- Place a dollop of filling onto the beetroot and then cover with a second piece of beetroot to make the ravioli
- Garnish with a sprig of parsley