Vegan Crab Cakes (GF, Vegan)
What to cook for game day? Vegan crab cakes of course! These are a pretty tasty treat, with the heart of palm being the substitute for the crab. However in my opinion this is a case of when the understudy is better than the original actor.
I used old bay seasoning for this to replicate the authentic taste and vegan mayonnaise for the texture. I used gluten free breadcrumbs, which I seasoned with garlic, onion and paprika. Panko also works nicely if gluten is no concern.
Mr B loves jumbo crab cakes, like you get in the steak houses in New York City and so I’ll make him a larger sized, but it is easier to get them crispy with a smaller portion. I use an ice-cream scope to get an even portion size, but you could use the palm of your hand for a rough approximate.
- 1 can, hearts of palm
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. old bay seasoning
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ½ cup chives, finely chopped
- 1 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350f. Line a baking tray with parchment
- Thinly slice the hearts of palm lengthwise, then crosswise
- Transfer to a bowl and break up using your hands, add the vegannaise, bay, salt and pepper, chives
- Sprinkle half the bread crumbs into the mixture and mix thoroughly
- Form into 14 portions
- Spread the remaining bread crumbs into a small dish and cover the cakes pressing down a little to make sure the crumb adheres
- Paint the parchment paper with a little coconut oil
- Place the cakes down with a little spacing inbetween
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown