Let’s break the myth that you need meat to build muscle. The gorilla can lift up to 10 times its body weight!
I made this dish on the request of my meat and potatoes concierge. As I would leave the building early in the morning I would go by the front desk and drop off a plant based treat, vegan cheesecake, vegan meatballs, vegan samosa, vegan chocolate truffles and after a few months I finally got a request for a cauliflower steak. This was a man who said that he had to eat meat with every meal.
You must learn a new way to think, before you can master a new way to live.
I love the humble cauliflower, the texture is meaty enough to satisfy and it takes well to assertive flavours. This is a basic version, but you could add a pesto, salsa or chimichurri. I served this with some Baba Ganoush underneath for a texture and flavour contrast.
Mr B was a little upset that I was cooking for another man, so I made him some vegan truffles and he forgot all about it…
- 1 cauliflower
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ cup oil
- Preheat the oven
- Remove the outer green leaves from the head of cauliflower
- Use a large knife and cut the cauliflower half lengthwise and into half again
- In a bowl mix the oil and spices
- Brush the cauliflower with the mixture on both sides
- Bake covered with foil until steamed and starting to soften
- Uncover and let brown for the remaining time
- If you have a BBQ, sear for grill marks and a little char